Constituted as 435th Troop Carrier Group on 30 Jan 1943. Activated on 25 Feb 1943. Used C-47's and C-53's in preparing for duty overseas with Ninth AF. Moved to England, Oct-Nov 1943, and began training for participation in the airborne operation over Normandy. Entered combat on D-Day 1944 by dropping paratroops of 101st Airborne Division near Cherbourg; towed Waco and Horsa gliders carrying reinforcements to that area on the afternoon of D-Day and on the following morning; received a DUC for its part in the Normandy invasion. Began transport services following the landings in France and intermittently engaged in missions of this type until V-E Day; hauled supplies such as serum, blood plasma, radar sets, clothing, rations, and ammunition, and evacuated wounded personnel to Allied hospitals. Interrupted supply and evacuation missions to train for and participate in three major airborne assaults. A detachment that was sent to Italy in Jul 1944 for the invasion of Southern France dropped paratroops over the assault area on 15 Aug and released gliders carrying troops and equipment such as jeeps, guns, and ammunition; flew a resupply mission over France on 16 Aug; and then transported supplies to bases in Italy before returning to England at the end of the month. In Sep 1944 the group participated in the air attack on Holland, dropping paratroops of 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions and releasing gliders carrying reinforcements. Moved to France in Feb 1945 for the airborne assault across the Rhine; each aircraft towed two gliders in transporting troops and equipment to the east bank of the Rhine on 24 Mar; then the group flew resupply missions to Germany in support of ground forces. Transported supplies to occupation forces in Germany and evacuated Allied prisoners of war after V-E Day. Returned to the US in Aug. Inactivated on 15 Nov 1945.
Allotted to the reserve. Activated on 15 Jul 1947. Redesignated 435th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) in Jun 1949. Ordered to active service on 1 Mar 1951. Assigned to Tactical Air Command. Trained with C-119's. Relieved from active duty and inactivated, on 1 Dec 1952.
Allotted to the reserve. Activated on 1 Dec 1952.
Squadrons. 75th: 1943-1945. 76th: 1943-1945; 1947-1952; 1952-. 77th: 1943-1945; 1947-1952; 1952-. 78th: 1943-1945; 1947-1952; 1952-1954, 1955-. 326th: 1947-1949. 349th: 1949-1951.
Stations. Bowman Field, Ky, 25 Feb 1943; Sedalia AAFld, Mo, 4 May 1943; Pope Field, NC, 2 Jul 1943; Baer Field, Ind, 6-13 Oct 1943; Langer, England, 3 Nov 1943; Welford Park, England, 25 Jan 1944; Bretigny, France, c. 13 Feb-25 Jun 1945; Baer Field, Ind, 5 Aug 1945; Kellogg Field, Mich, 13 Sep-15 Nov 1945. Morrison Field, Fla, 15 Jul 1947; Miami Intl Aprt, Fla, 26 Jun 1949-1 Dec 1952. Miami Intl Aprt, Fla, 1 Dec 1952-.
Commanders. Col Frank J MacNees, 25 Feb 1943-15 Nov 1945. Lt Col Stanley N Simpson, 1 Mar 1951; Lt Col John R Pountnay, 1951; Maj Thomas L Morris, 20 Feb 1952; Col Leonard Barrow Jr, 20 Mar-1 Dec 1952.
Campaigns. Rome-Arno; Normandy; Northern France; Southern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe.
Decorations. Distinguished Unit Citation: France, [6-7] Jun 1944.
Insigne. Shield: Per fess wavy, or and azure, charged with two martlets, countervolant and counterchanged, between two flanches checky sable and gules. Motto: Citus Et Certus - Swift and Sure. (Approved 22 May 1952.)
Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986