337th Fighter Group
Constituted as 337th Fighter Group on 16 Jul 1942 and activated on 23 Jul. Assigned to Third AF. Equipped with variety of aircraft, primarily P-40's (1942-1943) and P-51's (1944). Trained replacement crews for duty overseas. Disbanded on 1 May 1944.
Reconstituted and redesignated 337th Fighter Group (Air Defense), on 20 Jun 1955. Activated on 18 Aug 1955. Assigned to Air Defense Command. Equipped with F-86's.
Squadrons. 98th: 1942-1944. 303rd 1942-1944. 304th: 1942-1944. 440th: 1943-1944. 460th: 1955-.
Stations. Morris Field, NC, 23 Jul 1942; Drew Field, Fla, 7 Aug 1942; Sarasota, Fla, c. 3 Jan 1943-1 May 1944. Portland Intl Aprt, Ore, 18 Aug 1955-.
Commanders. Lt Col James Ferguson, 27 Jul 1942; Col Charles Kegelman, 12 Nov 1943-1 May 1944. Col George F Ceuleers, 1955-.
Campaigns. American Theater.
Insigne. Shield: Per fess abaisse embattled, and per pale, in the first quarter two stylized delta wing aircraft flying in close formation, noses to dexter chief, a contrail from the two aircraft, bendwise across the shield to the embattlement; four stars arched over the sinister chief, all colors counterchanged, or and sable. (Approved 26 Jun 1957.)
Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986