37th Fighter Group
Constituted as 37th Pursuit Group (Interceptor) on 22 Dec 1939. Inactivated in the Panama Canal Zone on 1 Feb 1940. Redesignated 37th Fighter Group in May 1942. Served as part of the defense force for the Panama Canal. Equipped first with P-26's, later with P-40's. Disbanded in the Canal Zone on 1 Nov 1943.
Reconstituted and redesignated 37th Fighter-Bomber Group, on 3 Mar 1953. Activated in the US on 8 Apr 1953. Assigned to Tactical Air Command. Inactivated on 25 Jun 1953.
Squadrons. 28th: 1940-1943; 1953. 30th: 1940-1943; 1953. 31st: 1940-1943. 33d: 1953.
Stations. Albrook Field, CZ, 1 Feb 1940; Howard Field, CZ, 30 Sep-1 Nov 1943. Clovis AFB, NM, 8 Apr-25 Jun 1953.
Commanders. Capt Russell E Randall, 1 Feb 1940; Maj Milo N Clark, 27 May 1940; Lt Col Morley F Slaght, 1942; Maj Ernest H Beverly, 2 Sep 1942-unkn. Col George W Larson, 1953.
Campaigns. American Theater.
Insigne. Shield: Azure, a saltire or. Crest: On a wreath of the colors, or and azure, a griffin sejant azure armed and winged or. Motto: Defenders Of The Crossroads. (Approved 23 Jun 1941.)
Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986