Orlando Fighter Wing
Constituted as Air Defense Department, AAF School of Applied Tactics on 27 Nov 1942. Activated on 3 Dec 1942. Helped to develop air defense tactics and trained organizations and personnel in the techniques of air defense. Also served in defense of the Orlando area, using such tactical organizations as were assigned or attached. Redesignated Orlando Fighter Wing in Oct 1943. Continued to provide defense for the Orlando area but engaged primarily in training fighter and light bombardment organizations and personnel. Disbanded on 1 Apr 1944.
Components. (See the narrative.)
Stations. Orlando, Fla, 3 Dec 1942-1 Apr 1944.
Commanders. Col Earl W Barnes, Dec 1942; Col Orrin L Grover, c. 31 Jul 1943, Col Norman D Sillin, c. 1 Nov 1943; Lt Col Hervey H Whitfield, 8 Dec 1943; Col Orrin L Grover, 20 Feb 1944; Col Phineas K Morrill Jr, 1 Mar-1 Apr 1944.
Campaigns. American Theater
Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986